Senior Product Development Engineer
The Senior Product Development Engineer will design, develop and launch new and innovative products that meet customer needs. The engineer is expected to use fundamental engineering principles, along with quality methodology, to reduce risks to ensure a successful product launch. The engineer is expected to be an excellent project leader and interface with other CertainTeed functions including marketing, quality, manufacturing representatives to solve problems.
Product design and innovation
- Responsible for the design of products using CAD (Solid Edge or equivalent).
- Proficient at leading a team to the product production launch, keeping the project on schedule, assuring deliverables are met, and obstacles are overcome.
- Experienced in designing products for manufacturing, including tolerancing and process capability.
- Demonstrate the feasibility of a design concepts using prototyping, modeling and testing.
- Develop new ideas and capture those into patent disclosures.
- Ensure that the product design is robust utilizing tools, such as testing, finite element analysis, Design of Experiments (DOE), and DFMEAs, and other APQP tools.
- Document and present results to leadership to gain approval for product launch.
Tool design and product launch
- Coordinate the design and fabrication tooling for production.
- Testing to ensure that the product meets all industry standard requirements.
- Lead a team to identify manufacturing specifications for the new product and ensure that the product can be produced through plant trials.
- Develop custom test methods to ensure product reliability.
- Complete activities to reduce the risk of product failures through design changes or process control.
- Perform final product tests to gain final leadership approval for performance, aesthetics, and prepare documentation for warranty approval.
- The engineer must be familiar with the construction industry and trends to be able to create concepts for new products or useful features for existing products.
- Ability to understand relevant industry standards to develop the product’s key performance criteria.
- Maintain an awareness of competitor’s products using benchmarking, patents, and searches.
Processing and manufacturing support
- Participate and/or lead teams to develop PFMEA studies and control plans for the product launch.
- Support manufacturing for studies in process optimization including developing and implementing solutions for future quality improvements and cost reduction
- Partner with the plant to determine proper packaging and shipping requirements
Leadership and Project Management
- Creative, innovative thinker with the ability to solve critical business problems, and work as a leader and a team player
- Deliver with excellence and possess a strong sense of ownership and accountability; have a “can do” attitude
- Capable of working independently and staying organized while assuming multiple responsibilities and tasks. Able to motivate, problem solve, deal with ambiguity and effectively prioritize business needs.
- Safety oriented - Identifying work place hazards and actively working to eliminate it through employee interaction and/or process/equipment changes
- Requires excellent written and oral communication skills, planning and organization abilities; Strong technical report writing/publications and IP is a plus
- Master of Science in mechanical engineering with at least 5 years of relevant industry experience. Or, a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering will be considered with 10 years of experience. PhD is a plus.
- Demonstrated track record in the design of injection molded and/or extruded parts using CAD (Solid Edge or equivalent).
- Experience in the design and coordination of injection mold fabrication.
- Experience in the modeling of polymer flow (e.g. Moldflow/Fluent) and other basic finite element analysis (FEA) to evaluate part design.
- Must have demonstrated project management experience as well as leadership experience in managing product development, and leading project teams.
- Experience with product design methodology/tools (DOE, DFMEA, GD&T, 3D printing).
- Proficient in statistical analysis of data (MiniTab or equivalent) and MS-Office.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and hands-on.
- Strong attention to detail and can work independently or as part of a team.
- This position involves travel (over 25% at times) to Saint Gobain / CertainTeed R&D and manufacturing sites and vendors.